There’s nothing better than camping in the great outdoors! Campfires, s’mores, communing with nature. But what happens when you need to commune with the commode?
Sure, you could easily pop a squat behind a tree, but don’t you (and your campmates) deserve a safer, more dignified (and, let’s face it, less stinky) way to answer the inevitable call? Of course you do, which is why a portable toilet should be at the top of your “must-have” gear list for your next camping trip.
But which portable potty is the best fit for your budget and needs? We’ve taken the liberty of rounding up some of the most popular portable toilets, so you can make the best choice for you.
Pricing for Portable Toilets
Unless you’re a music mogul or a tech billionaire, cost is always a factor when purchasing equipment. So, we’ve done the hard part and price-checked a list of the most popular portable toilet brands on the market.
- Cleanwaste around $75
- Restop around $75
- Thetford around $85 and up
- Serene Life around $100
- Seaflo around $85- $100
- Camco around $75 to $125
- Playberg around $65 to $115
- Alpcour around $120- $150
- Dometic SaniPottie around $120- $150
Easiest Portable Toilets to Carry and/or Travel With
There, easy! Just get the cheapest one, right? … I mean, you do realize what you’re actually using these for…
Don’t push that buy button yet! Not all portable toilets are created equal. We repeat: you do realize what you’re using these for, right? Consider for a moment the ramifications of a bad portable toilet experience. Let your imagination go wild. We’ll wait …
Saving money is great, but to determine the right fit for your potty purposes, let’s take a look at the different styles of portable toilets.
- Bucket style: Big fan of bucket seats? You’re in luck! (Well, sort of.) Both the Luggable Loo and the Playberg Portable Travel Toilet sport this particular design. It’s a simple and straightforward model, consisting of a toilet seat on top of an actual bucket or similar receptacle. Drop in a waste bag, and you’re good to go.
They’re as light and easy to carry as, you know—a bucket, but they can take up a lot of space in your car. And it’s impractical to lug one with you, if you have to hike to your campsite.
- Foldable: Foldable toilets, like the Cleanwaste GO Anywhere weigh about the same as a bucket system but are much more space efficient. Fold it up and easily pack it away.
And don’t let the slim silhouette of the Cleanwaste GO Anywhere Portable Toilet Seat fool you. Although it folds up to the size of a briefcase and weighs just 7lbs, it can support people up to 500lbs!
- Camping Cassette Toilet: This category just sounds like the name of a lost punk band from the ’80s, doesn’t it? The rest of the portable toilet systems on our list fall into this category. With a system of water tanks and an actual flush nozzle, this model of portable toilet gives off more of a peeing in a real toilet vibe.
However, they’re pretty bulky and can weigh twice as much as foldable options.
Considering Ease of Use with Portable Toilets
We know what you’re thinking: How can sitting down to do my business be easier on one toilet than another?
Well, “doing business” might be just as easy from one portable toilet to the next. But what about set up? And, well. . . clean-up?
So, how easy are different toilet categories to use overall?
- Camping Cassette Toilets with a 5-gallon tank can be used for up to 50 flushes, which sounds great! Fifty whole uses without having to do anything in between!
However, this model gets a bit inconvenient after those flushes are completed.
Once the water tank is empty, the waste tank needs to be emptied as well. This means finding a proper waste disposal area, cleaning out the waste tank, and refilling the water tank.
- Bucket and Foldable Toilets are quick to set up and use waste bags, like the Cleanwaste WAG BAG, to catch waste. While that means sealing up and throwing away the bags once they’re used, the bags themselves are much easier to carry and dispose of than gallons of. . . sewage.
What Are the Most Sanitary Portable Toilet Options?
All the portable toilets on our list offer a much more dignified and sanitary solution than simply picking any old spot to drop a log. However, systems utilizing waste bags, like Bucket Style or Foldable systems, limit the amount of exposure to actual waste. (As opposed to Camping Cassette toilets that need to be emptied and cleaned.)
In fact, Cleanwaste’s Toilet in a Bag is designed to be leak-proof and utilize a powder that neutralizes both odor and bacteria, preventing the spread of disease.
Whatever system you choose, you’ll be doing the environment (and your friends) a favor in the long run by not letting human waste run willy-nilly into water streams and ecosystems.
So, What’s the Best Portable Toilet?
Cleanwaste is an industry leader in the innovation of safe, convenient products which allow
users to manage waste in a dignified, reliable, and environmentally friendly way.
Our solutions are perfect for soldiers, healthcare patients, and outdoor adventurers alike. No
matter where life takes you, Cleanwaste goes where you go.